Commencement FAQs

  • Is there a form to fill out for Commencement?

    Yes. This form provides the Records Office with the name you want printed on your diploma or certificate, your decision on participating in the Commencement ceremony, and your current mailing address. If you plan to participate in the ceremony, this form will also request information from you about your cap and gown order. Changes to the name printed on diplomas and certificates will not be accepted after the deadline. If you have questions, please email or call 254-299-8660.

  • How do I find and complete the Graduation Information Form?

    Step 1: Log into WebAdvisor.
    Step 2: Select the Students menu, if it does not show after you log in.
    Step 3: Select the Graduation Information Form link under Academic Planning.
    Step 4: Select ANY program with the words “Approved for Graduation” beside it. This means we have identified you as an eligible candidate for graduation. Please do not select a program that does not have “Approved for Graduation” beside it because you are not eligible for that program.

    Please note that your diploma name will need to reflect your legal name and you may be asked for additional documentation should your Graduation Information Form not match the name in our system.

  • Is there a deadline to complete the Graduation Information form?

    The deadline to complete the Graduation Information form is July 15.

  • How will I receive my diploma?

    Graduates who attend the ceremony will receive their diplomas at the ceremony. Diplomas will be mailed for those who do not attend to the address on the Graduation Information Form. We will begin mailing diplomas the week of August 26, 2024 and the process should take a couple of business days. You should receive your diploma in 7-10 business days after the mailing date. An incorrect address could delay receiving your diploma by 2 to 3 weeks from the original mail date. Please note that completing a Student Data Change form on WebAdvisor will not change your name or address for graduation.

  • How do I order a cap and gown?

    Choose the Attend Commencement button on the Graduation Information Form, and select your size. There is no fee for cap and gowns.

  • When will I receive my cap and gown?

    Caps and gowns will be available for pick up at the McLennan Bookstore beginning Tuesday, August 6.

General Questions About Earning A Degree/Certificate

  • What is the difference between Commencement and Graduation?

    There is no difference between Commencement and Graduation. Generally, when you graduate from a college or university, the certificate or degree award ceremony is called Commencement.

  • What is the difference between earning a certificate versus earning an Associate degree at MCC?

    Students are awarded a Certificate of Completion by meeting specified requirements as outlined by the program awarding the certificate. There are two levels of certificates:

    • Level One: - requires 15 to 42 semester hours of college credit.
    • Level Two: - requires 43 to 59 semester hours of college credit.

    Students earning Associate degrees complete a minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit.

    For more information, go to

  • What kind of job can I get if I earn a certificate only?

    For more information about career opportunities, contact the Program Director of the specific program awarding the certificate. You may also explore MCC's Gainful Employment information at

  • Can I earn a Bachelor's degree at MCC?

    MCC awards Certificates of Completion and Associate degrees only. However, students may earn Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctoral degrees through MCC's University Center located in the Michaelis Academic Center (first floor). For more information, call 254-299-8882 or email Rebecca Long at

  • What happens if I do not earn enough credits to graduate after five years at MCC?

    A student may graduate with an Associate's degree according to the degree requirements in effect at the time of initial enrollment in college-credit courses at MCC. From the date of initial enrollment, students have five years to complete an Associate's degree (A.A., A.A.T., A.S., or A.A.S.). After five years, students will be subject to meeting any new degree requirements in effect when the student enrolls again. The appropriate Dean must approve exceptions to these requirements.

    Students seeking an Associate's degree in Health Professions (including the Nursing program) must complete degree requirements within five years of initial program acceptance and enrollment. Students seeking a Certificate of Completion in any Health Professions Pathway program must complete the requirements within three years of initial program acceptance and enrollment.

  • What if I changed my major a few times before graduation and do not have enough credits for my current major? May I still graduate?

    It depends on whether you have met all of the requirements to be considered a candidate for graduation. In order to meet and complete degree or certificate requirements, it is important that you learn about your academic program (or major) of choice and choose an academic program based on your abilities, skills, and interests.

    If you are unsure about the best program for you, please visit Advising and Career Services in the Student Services Center (Second Floor). You may contact them by email at or by calling 254-299-8614.

    Career Services is just one of the many free resources available to you as an MCC student. If you would like to learn more about campus resources, please see our Campus Resource Guide.

Dual Credit Students