Child Studies & Education

If you enjoy being around children and desire to give them a strong foundation for their lives, a career working with children could be the perfect fit for you.

Young children need a secure and nurturing environment if they are to grow into healthy, productive adults. As teachers, caregivers, mentors and role models, the individuals who care for our youngest generation leave a lasting impression.

Training Options

McLennan's Child Studies & Education department provides a great start for entering this rewarding career field. You'll learn the principles of child development, guidance, teaching and curriculum planning while emphasizing the importance of a safe and healthy learning environment. MCC offers several training options:

  • You can choose a degree or certificate in Child Development to become an early childhood caregiver. Get ample hands-on experience while working at our on-campus child care center. The Child Development Center offers care for children of McLennan students, faculty, staff and the community from 7:15 a.m.-5:15 p.m.
  • Or choose the Associate of Arts in Teaching (EC-12) and transfer to a four-year school to complete your bachelor’s degree. You can even choose to get your teaching degree from a state university on McLennan's campus.

Career Outlook

As a child development professional, employment settings can range from child care centers, Head Start centers or preschools to recreational camps and hospital pediatric units. Employment opportunities in non-traditional careers are also available, such as designing or marketing children’s products or selling educational supplies.

For those who plan to pursue a teaching degree, employment can be in elementary, middle and high schools, depending on the certification you receive with your bachelor's degree.

For More Information

Please contact Daelynn Copeland, program director/professor, 254-299-8786 or

For students in this program who may have a criminal background, please be advised that the background could keep you from being licensed by the State of Texas. If you have a question about your background and licensure, please speak with your faculty member or program director. You also have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the applicable licensing agency.